FMTC is a public post-secondary institution that accepts applications on a nondiscriminatory basis from anyone having the interest, ability, and desire to benefit from career and technical education programs. To assist students in meeting their goals, there are minimum age, educational, and health requirements established for each program. Our school counselors are happy to assist you with any stage of the enrollment process!
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and should be academically, physically, and emotionally capable of meeting the essential tasks of the chosen program. Completion of a high school diploma or GED may be required for some programs.
- Attend an Information Session (Tuesday - 9:30 a.m. and Thursday - 1:00 p.m.)
- Meet with an admissions specialist (The student meets with an admissions specialist to discuss educational options, registration, basic skills assessment, start and end dates, class, program costs, and, if applicable, remediation schedules.)
- Take the TABE test (if applicable) Students who have an associate’s degree or higher may be exempt from academic assessment testing. Students who have graduated from a Florida public high school with a standard high school diploma since 2007 may also be exempt from academic assessment testing. The most frequently used assessment is the Test of Adult Basic Education, which is administered on campus for a fee of $15. Students who do not demonstrate at least a level 6 in Reading, Math, and/or Language on the TABE exam will be referred for remediation prior to enrollment in a program at either the Applied Academics for Adult Education program at FMTC or an Adult Basic Education program at the school district.
- Submit Official Transcripts (Request all high school/GED and college transcripts to be sent to FMTC Admissions, 3800 Michigan Avenue, Fort Myers, FL 33916. Transcripts may also be delivered in person if they are in a sealed envelope. If you do not have a high school diploma or GED, you may still be eligible to enroll in some programs at FMTC. Please talk with an admissions specialist.)
- Apply for financial aid (official transcripts required) A financial aid advisor provides counseling to determine financial assistance eligibility.
- Determine Florida residency for tuition purposes.
- In order to qualify for in state tuition, prospective students must have two documents indicating that they (or their parents/guardian if the student is under the age of 24) have lived in Florida at least 12 months prior to the first day of their first term of enrollment. See the section on Residency for details and a list of acceptable documents. Documents may be sent to FMTC Admissions, 3800 Michigan Avenue, Fort Myers, FL 33916. They may also be delivered in person. Two 12-month old documents confirming Florida Residence for Tuition Purposes. Residency Requirements
- Pursuant to Section 1009.21(12), F.S., students denied the classification of Florida resident for tuition purposes have the right of appeal. Appeals must be in writing to the Residency Appeals Committee, care of the Student Services Office. Appeals should be made as soon as possible after receipt of the initial decision and prior to payment of the first semester's tuition. All appeals will be reviewed by the Residency Appeals Committee, and the Committee's decisions are final. Students classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes can reapply for residency consideration at the beginning of any term of enrollment.
- Complete application packet with an admissions specialist.
- Pay application fee. $30 Application Fee. You may pay by cash, VISA, MasterCard, or check.
- Admission Checklist
If you are in one of the student categories below, your steps will be different.
International Students - If you are not a US citizen, you will need to bring your INS documents to a counselor before applying for admission.
High School Students - All high school students must apply through their school counselor or career specialist.
Important Details for Adult Students
This information assists most students with a smooth transition to Fort Myers Technical College
Make sure you have all the documents you will need to register for a program:
- High school/GED and college transcripts
- Test scores, if applicable
- Two 12-month old documents to confirm residency status for tuition purposes
- Photo ID
- INS immigration forms for international students
- Cash, check or credit card payment of $30 (plus $30 for remediation and re-testing if applicable)
- Financial Aid
- Apply for Federal Student Aid. The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is available online at www.FAFSA.edu.gov . The code for FMTC is 007558.
- See Financial Aid Checklist to make sure you have everything you need before you see the Financial Aid Advisor.