Medical Coder/Biller (Online Program)
Set yourself up for a variety of occupational choices; work from home, consult, or work directly for a health care provider. Master the use of clinical vocabularies and terminologies. Work in a medical environment using advanced software applications. The Medical Coder/Biller program is recommended for anyone who is preparing for a career in a medical billing department at a physician's office, clinic, or other healthcare entity. Demonstrate ethical and legal principles regarding the use of medical records and the billing process. The program covers human anatomy/physiology, diagnosis/procedure coding, and the ever-in-demand insurance billing section! Included in the instruction is the ICD-10-CM coding set which went into effect nationwide in October 2015. This program offers state-of-the-art technology to prepare you for the ever-changing medical records field. After completion of the program, you are ready to sit for the national certifying exam to become a Certified Professional Coder, CPC-A or Certified Professional Biller, CPB. FMTC is affiliated with the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) and offers the AAPC curriculum and onsite testing for your convenience. After obtaining your certification, you are prepared for a career in the exciting outpatient medical field.
The program is designed to prepare students for employment in a variety of healthcare settings as an entry-level coder, medical record coder, coding technician, coding clerk, or medical coder/biller.
The content includes, but is not limited to, medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, coding systems, fundamentals of disease process including pharmacology, health care delivery systems, basics of medical records services, ethical and legal responsibilities, safety/security procedures, basic data processing, and employability skills.
Students use Centricity by GE medical office software that is being used in thousands of medical practices across the country. Students access a database of patients, manage their appointments, post their charges, and create and process insurance claims. The Centricity software gives students real medical office experience in coding and billing which in turn gives them a distinct advantage when seeking employment.
FMTC's online Blackboard web site is a 'virtual' campus, which means there are no actual buildings or classrooms. The Medical Coder/Biller course we offer online is self-paced. That means that all the readings and tests are available to the students for as long as they are enrolled, that students need very little interaction with instructors, and everyone can complete their work independently.
The online course offers the following benefits:
- 10-12 months of training
- Obtain the most up-to-date information on medical coding and billing
- Study at your own pace
- Reduce the overall time spent in training
- Prepare for the AAPC, CPC, or CPB national certifications
Is Online Medical Coder/Biller for me?
Many people, for many reasons, choose to study at home through independent, Internet-based programs. Most find that independent study is a flexible method of acquiring job knowledge and skills at their own pace, often while maintaining full-time jobs. Independent, Internet-based study may be a viable option for you if:
- You don't live close to FMTC
- You can't attend class for personal reasons
- You prefer to study at your own pace
It takes self-discipline and commitment to study at home. In deciding if independent, Internet-based study is right for you, consider your ability to:
- Establish regular study habits
- Play an active role in your own education
- Work out most problems independently
- Don't need a great deal of instructor interaction
- Enjoy participating in online discussions
Online Medical Coder/Biller students may schedule an appointment to meet with the instructor on Thursday's between 2 - 7 p.m. if needed.
The following table illustrates the program structure:
|Course #||OCP||Course Name||Hours|
|HIM0009||A||Introduction to Health Information Technology||90|
|HIM0071||B||Medical Coder/Biller 1||350|
|HIM0072||B||Medical Coder/Biller 2||350|
|HIM0073||B||Medical Coder/Biller 3||320|
Online Medical Coder/Biller Program Starting Dates:
January 16, 2018
February 13, 2018
March 13, 2018
April 17, 2018
May 15, 2018
June 19, 2018
Students may meet with the instructor by appointment.
Please call (239) 334-4544 to speak to an admissions officer about enrollment
Approximately 10-12 months
Online Medical Coder/Biller Fee Sheet
Scholarships may be available
- In-depth human anatomy and pathophysiology
- ICD-10 CM Diagnostic Coding
- CPT/HCPCS procedure coding
- Medical Office billing procedures
- Preparation and management of insurance claims
- Centricity medical office software
- Certification exam preparation
- Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Encoder Pro
- AAPC Coder
- CPC Certified Professional Coder
- CPC-A Certified Professional Coder-Apprentice
- CPB Certified Professional Biller
For the most recent book list, visit FMTC's online bookstore.
- Lee Health
- Orthopedics of Southwest Florida
- Family Health Centers of Florida
- Kidz Medical, Boca Raton, FL
- Walgreens IV Billing Office
- Riverchase Dermatology
- Shell Point Retirement Community
- Medical Coder
- Remote Coder
- Insurance Verification
- Payment Poster
- Insurance Specialist
According to O'Net Online, jobs for medical records and health information technicians are expected to grow much faster than average (22% or higher) between 2012 - 2022.
Steps to Enroll
- Attend an Information Session (Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. [when school is in session])
- Meet with an admissions specialist
- Take the TABE test, if applicable
- Obtain official transcripts, if applicable (high school, GED, college, etc.)
- Provide appropriate residency documents
- Complete application packet
- Pay application fee
- Judy Smith, CPC, CPB, CPMA, CEDC, CPC-I
- (239) 334-4544 ext. 227