Professional Culinary Arts & Hospitality
Have you always dreamed of owning a restaurant? Do you enjoy cooking? FMTC is cooking up a great future for students interested in the culinary arts! Create and present delicious, gourmet culinary masterpieces while working with knives, fire, and ice. Cook alongside a professional chef preparing appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, and desserts to everyone’s delight. Operate a fast-paced, casual, or upscale restaurant to create international cuisine in a unique dining experience.Students are prepared to earn the National Serv-Safe certification while enrolled in this program.
If you're adventurous with food, cool under pressure, and skilled at adding your own flair to things, this may be your dream career. Chefs are professional cooks usually in charge of kitchen staffs that work together to make tasty, timely and nutritious food.
Chefs are trained to create many meals at once without any loss of quality or flavor. (This is harder than it sounds and requires intricate planning and preparation.) They consider whether dishes served together have complementary flavors and textures; they also consider how long each dish takes to cook so different dishes are ready to serve at the same time. A great chef is a terrific leader and craftsperson who manages people and projects to deliver fine food consistently.
The Professional Culinary Arts & Hospitality program prepares students for entry-level jobs in the commercial foods and culinary arts fields. Training includes identification, selection, preparation, presentation, serving, and storage of a wide variety of foods; communication and leadership skills; mathematical skills; human relations and employability skills; and safe and efficient work practices.
The following table illustrates the program structure:
|Course #||OCP||Course Name||Hours|
|HMV0126||D||Food Service Managment||300|
|Program starts July 27, 2018|
Approximately 11 months
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Professional Culinary Arts & Hospitality Fee Sheet
The mission of the Professional Culinary Arts & Hospitality program is to provide a quality education in the commercial foods and culinary arts field to prepare students for successful employment in the food service industry.
- Fruit and Vegetable Preparation
- Meat and Poultry Preparation
- Soup, Stock, and Sauce Preparation
- Use of Hand Tools
- Use of Small and Large Equipment
- Dairy, Egg, and Starchy Preparation
- Food Storage
- Principles of Commercial Cooking
- Bakery Goods and Desserts
- ServSafe® Certification
- Certified Professional Food Service Handler
- Certified Food Protection Manager
- Prep Cook
- Line Cook
- Sous Chef
- Short Order Cook
- Broiler Cook
- Banquet Cook
- Pantry Station
- Fry Cook
According to O'Net Online, jobs for cooks are expected to grow faster than average (15% to 21%) between 2012 - 2022.
Steps to Enroll
- Attend an Information Session (Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. [when school is in session])
- Meet with an admissions specialist
- Take the TABE test, if applicable
- Obtain official transcripts, if applicable (high school, GED, college, etc.)
- Apply for financial aid (official transcripts required)
- Provide appropriate residency documents
- Complete application packet
- Pay application fee
- Joseph Mastrangelo, Jim Wakeman
- (239) 334-4544 ext. 307