Prosper in an office environment using advanced software applications and processes used by business professionals everywhere. Experience and manage daily office responsibilities and projects while interacting with the public as an office manager. Design and create dynamic promotional materials which will be showcased in a professional portfolio. This program prepares students to earn certifications in Microsoft Office programs.
The Administrative Office Specialist program is designed to prepare students for employment as an information technology assistant, front desk specialist, assistant digital production designer, and administrative assistant.
This program offers a broad foundation of knowledge and skills expanding the traditional role of the administrative office specialist. The content includes the use of technology to develop communications skills, higher-level thinking skills, and decision-making skills; the performance of office procedures tasks; the production of quality work in an efficient manner using advanced features of business software applications; research of job opportunities; and the production of high quality employment portfolios and job-seeking documents.
Prosper in an office environment using advanced software applications and processes used by business professionals everywhere. Experience and manage daily office responsibilities and projects while interacting with the public as an office manager. Design and create dynamic promotional materials which will be showcased in a professional portfolio.
This program focuses on broad, transferable skills and stresses understanding and demonstration of the following elements of the business supervision industry: planning; management; finance; technical and production skills; underlying principles of technology; labor, community, health, safety, and environmental issues; and employment laws.
The following table illustrates the program structure:
Information Technology Assistant
Front Desk Specialist
Assistant Digital Production Designer
Administrative Office Specialist
1050 hours. Approximately 10 months.
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
What You’ll Learn
- Filling of records and reports
- Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access
- Digital desktop Publishing
- Machine transcription
- Presentation software
- Telephone skills
- Various office/clerical duties
- Customer service skills
- Microsoft Specialist
Career Ready Skills
- Act as a responsible and contributing citizen and employee.
- Apply appropriate academic and technical skills.
- Attend to personal health and financial well-being.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and with reason.
- Consider the environmental, social and economic impacts of decisions.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
- Employ valid and reliable research strategies.
- Utilize critical thinking to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Model integrity, ethical leadership and effective management.
- Plan education and career path aligned to personal goals.
- Use technology to enhance productivity.
- Work productively in teams while using cultural/global competence.
- Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook
- Publisher – desktop publishing software
- LearnKey Online Expert
- PowerPoint presentation
- Creation of electronic portfolios
- Creation of company brochures, business cards, letterhead
Students who complete this course can expect to earn a starting salary of $13+ per hour in the following industries (Actual wages vary according to education, experience, and certifications.)
- Real estate
- Insurance companies
- Educational institutions
According to O’Net Online, jobs for secretaries and administrative assistants are expected to grow 15% in Florida between 2014 – 2024.
Steps to Enroll
- Attend an Information Session (Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. [when school is in session])
- Meet with an admissions specialist
- Take the Wonderlic test, if applicable
- Obtain official transcripts, if applicable (high school, GED, college, etc.)
- Apply for financial aid (official transcripts required)
- Provide appropriate residency documents
- Complete application packet
- Pay application fee
- Jesslyn Woolsey
- (239) 334-4544 ext. 1004
Program Start Date
Program starts January 8, 2020