The 30 hour post-graduate IV Therapy course is available to graduate Practical Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Registered Nurses. The curriculum meets the Florida Nurse Practice Act, F.S. 464, for the LPN to become IV Therapy certified in the State of Florida. Fluid and electrolyte balance, IV solutions, equipment utilized in IV therapy, venipuncture technique, IV medication administration techniques, complications of IV therapy and the performance of IV therapy via central lines make up the 30-hour course.
Students must complete a 12 hour online self-study packet prior to the first day of class. Please call the Health Science Education department for availability.
April 16-18, 2019 (8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
May 21-23, 2019 (8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.) Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
30 hours, 3 school days
What You’ll Learn
- Fluid & electolyte balance
- IV solutions
- Equipment utilized in IV therapy
- Venipuncture technique
- IV medication administration techniques
- Complications of IV therapy
- Use and Care of Central Venous Lines (CVL)
Students who complete this course can expect to earn a starting salary of $31,553 – $53,706 annually in the following industries (Actual wages vary according to education, experience, and certifications.)
- Assisted living facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Home health
- Convenient care facilities
- Doctor’s offices
Career Ready Skills
- Act as a responsible and contributing citizen and employee.
- Apply appropriate academic and technical skills.
- Attend to personal health and financial well-being.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and with reason.
- Consider the environmental, social and economic impacts of decisions.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
- Employ valid and reliable research strategies.
- Utilize critical thinking to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Model integrity, ethical leadership and effective management.
- Plan education and career path aligned to personal goals.
- Use technology to enhance productivity.
- Work productively in teams while using cultural/global competence.
- Certificate of completion that allows LPN’s to perform advanced IV therapy per Florida Nurse Practice Act, F.S. 464
- Hands on Practice in Venipuncture Technique and use of IV Therapy Tools and Equipment
- Calculation and Adjustment of Fluid and Drug Administration Rates
- Blood Draw via CVL
- CVL Dressing and Cap Change
Steps to Enroll
Please access this website and complete the MANDATORY pre-course practice test PRIOR to the first day of class. This must be completed, printed, and turned in to the instructor at 8 a.m. the FIRST day of class. You will not be allowed to take the course without it and must register for the next course offered.