Assist patients and health-care providers by working in a health-related office environment using advanced software applications and processes used by medical professionals everywhere. Experience and perform medical office functions and responsibilities to increase medical office support productivity and enhance workplace performance. This program prepares students to earn certifications in Microsoft Office programs.
The Medical Administrative Specialist program is designed to prepare students for employment as an information technology assistant, front desk specialist, medical office technologist, and medical administrative specialist.
This program offers a broad foundation of knowledge and skills expanding the traditional role of the medical secretary. The content includes the use of technology to develop communication skills, higher-level thinking skills, and decision-making skills; medical terminology; the performance of office procedures specific to the medical environment; transcription of medical documents from machine dictation; digital administrative medical simulation; the production of quality work in an efficient manner using advanced features of business software applications; research of job opportunities; and the production of high quality employment portfolios and job-seeking documents.
The program focuses on broad, transferable skills and stresses understanding and demonstration of the following elements of the medical secretarial industry: medical office functions; management; finance; technical and production skills; underlying principles of technology; customer service issues; community issues; and health, safety, and environmental issues.
The following table illustrates the program structure:
Information Technology Assistant
Front Desk Specialist
Medical Office Technologist
Medical Administrative Specialist
1050 hours. Approximately 10 months.
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
What You’ll Learn
- Medical Office procedures and technology
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Filing – alphabetic, numeric, geographic records, and reports
- 10-key calculator
- Proofreading skills
- Business English skills
- Presentation software – PowerPoint
- Telephone technique training
- Customer service training
- Medical transcription
- HIPAA training
- Medical terminology
Career Ready Skills
- Act as a responsible and contributing citizen and employee.
- Apply appropriate academic and technical skills.
- Attend to personal health and financial well-being.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and with reason.
- Consider the environmental, social and economic impacts of decisions.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
- Employ valid and reliable research strategies.
- Utilize critical thinking to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Model integrity, ethical leadership and effective management.
- Plan education and career path aligned to personal goals.
- Use technology to enhance productivity.
- Work productively in teams while using cultural/global competence.
- Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Medisoft -medical
- Electronic medical simulation software
- LearnKey Online Expert
- Presentations using PowerPoint software
- Creation of electronic portfolios
- Creation of company brochures, business cards, letterhead
- Microsoft Office Specialist
Students who complete this course can expect to earn a starting salary of $13+ per hour in the following industries (Actual wages vary according to education, experience, and certifications.)
- Physician’s Offices
- Health Care Centers
- Nursing Homes
According to O’Net Online, jobs for medical secretaries are expected to grow 27% in Florida between 2014 – 2024.
Steps to Enroll
- Attend an Information Session (Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. [when school is in session])
- Meet with an admissions specialist
- Take the Wonderlic test, if applicable
- Obtain official transcripts, if applicable (high school, GED, college, etc.)
- Apply for financial aid (official transcripts required)
- Provide appropriate residency documents
- Complete application packet
- Pay application fee
- Jesslyn Woolsey
- (239) 334-4544 ext. 1004
Program Start Date
Program starts January 8, 2020