High School Opportunities
Regardless of whether students are headed for college or the workforce, career and technical education will help them prepare for the future. In fact, college-bound students can get job experiences to help them define their career plans, identify an appropriate course of study, and help them pay for tuition.
Students who meet the eligibility requirements and who are recommended by their high school counselor or career specialist may be admitted to FMTC as a dual-enrolled student. Dual-enrollment is an option for secondary students to gain training and industry certification through a technical education program. The training also counts as credit toward the high school diploma. Certain programs at FMTC require a standard high school diploma or GED and are not open to high school students. These include all of the programs at the Southwest Florida Public Service Academy and select programs at FMTC (Cosmetology, Medical Assisting, Turbine Generator Maintenance, Inspection, and Repair as well as Practical Nursing). Dual Enrollment Articulation Agreement
To be eligible for dual-enrollment, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as a student in a Florida public secondary school
- Be classified as a high school junior or senior
- Have a 2.0 unweighted GPA
- Meet the graduation requirements for Florida’s state-wide assessments
- Have a plan approved by their high school to complete all requirements to graduate on time
- Demonstrate readiness for post-secondary work evidenced by
- A good attendance record
- A satisfactory disciplinary record
- Be recommended by their school counselor or career specialist and spend a shadow day at FMTC
Students who need no more than two academic credits a year in subjects such as English, math, science or social studies can be enrolled as full-time career dual-enrolled students; students should speak to their high school guidance counselor to develop a plan to complete their high school credits required for graduation. All home school, private school, and out of county students must enroll through the Lee County School District’s School Assignment Office and be assigned a public Lee County School before they enroll at FMTC as a dual-enrolled high school student.
High School Counselor Forms