The Florida Legislature mandates that each student enrolled in a certificate/diploma program must meet required minimum academic skills levels in mathematics, language, and reading in order to receive a Certificate of Completion or an Applied Technology Diploma. Statute requires that all students be assessed before or within the first six weeks of enrollment in a career education program. The Lee County Career Centers strongly recommend that an assessment be done before registering for a career education program. Standard assessment tools include ACT, SAT, the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test, and the Test of Adult Basic Education. The TABE assessment consists of four sub-tests: reading, math computation, applied mathematics, and language. It is an objective test which provides a grade level score. This score is used to determine which programs you are currently prepared to enter, or to identify areas in which you may need to improve.
- Test scores must be no more than two years old at the beginning of a student’s program. The Test of Adult Basic Education is given by the career centers for a nominal charge.
- If a student has previously earned an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution, or has recently graduated from a Florida public school with a standard high school diploma, basic skills testing may not be required.
- By providing all post high school educational transcripts to the admissions staff, the need for basic skills assessment can be determined. A counselor will review the basic skills assessments or documentation at the time of registration.
Testing Accommodations – If you are requesting Testing Accommodations, please contact the school at 239-334-4544 prior to testing. Medical documentation of the disability (dated within the last 2 years) must be provided.
TABE Assessment Schedule
Available seats in each session are limited, so testers are advised to arrive at least 30 minutes before their preferred test session to increase their chances of getting a seat. When arriving at the school, please enter the campus at Gate 3 and proceed to Building “C” to obtain a testing ID pass. The assessment can take up to 2 hours. This is a timed test.
Please bring a photo ID and know your social security number. Please wear appropriate clothing – no shorts, tank tops, or flip flops. Cell phones, calculators and electronic devices are not permitted in the testing room and testers may bring bottled water only.
There is a $30 fee to take the TABE assessment – CASH ONLY – no bills larger than $20 will be accepted.
Please call 334-4544 during normal school hours which are from 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. for additional information.
After you complete your assessment, you will meet with an admissions specialist to review your scores and discuss enrollment options.
TABE RETEST POLICY
Students requiring remediation based on TABE results will follow this policy:
If students choose to participate in remediation:
- Students need to register/enroll in the Applied Academics for Adult Education (Learning Center) at FMTC, Cape Coral Technical College, or Adult Education.
- An individual study program will be developed.
- Upon completion of remediation, the student will retest in the Learning Center.
- Cell phones, pagers, or electronic devices of any type are NOT allowed in any testing session
Students will be allowed to retest without remediation ONE time, by appointment. The test may be taken no sooner than 90 days from the original test date. If the student is not successful on the retest, the student will enroll in remediation or show proof of remediation before another test will be granted.